We offer standard and bespoke online and face-to-face training to students and professionals in the areas covered by our GALMA team: live subtitling and respeaking, subtitling for hearing and deaf viewers, dubbing, voice-over, audiodescription, media interpreting, sign language interpreting and accessible filmmaking.
The most demanded areas have so far been
- Live subtitling/respeaking (both intra and interlingual)
- Accessible filmmaking: the theoretical and practical implications of integrating translation and accessibility into the film production process
- Subtitling for the deaf and hard of hearing
New online course: interlingual respeaking English-Spanish
The department of Translation and Linguistics at Universidade de Vigo is launching the first ever online course in interlingual respeaking English-Spanish. It will be the first course worldwide to offer training in this modality and will consist of three modules with a total of 20 credits:
- simultaneous interpreting English-Spanish
- intralingual respeaking Spanish-Spanish
- interlingual respeaking English-Spanish
Respeaking is the most frequently used technique for creating live subtitles. It is a combination of interpreting and subtitling that consists in repeating or simultaneously reformulating the original text of a TV programme or public event to a speech recognition software, which then displays the text dictated to it on screen in the form of subtitles. The main aim of this course is to address the growing demand for professional intralingual respeakers (Spanish-Spanish), who are needed for subtitling all kinds of live programmes in Spain. Being part of the European project ILSA (Interlingual Live Subtitling for Access), this course also goes a step further by offering training which, for the first time ever, allows for the application of this technique to the language combination of English-Spanish. This can be used for providing simultaneous translation for programmes and events, such as international conferences or work meetings.
The course will begin on 21/01/2019 and will finish on 14/06/2019. The registration fee is 900€ and spaces are limited to between 5 and 10 students.
To find out more about this course in particular, please click here.
Click here for more information about Universidade de Vigo courses.
These are some institutions we have provided training for:
- Canada: Canadian Association of Broadcasters
- Australia: AiMedia, MacQuarie University
- Brasil: Cinema da Fundação (Recife)
- South Africa: North-West University
- Qatar: Hamad Bin Khalifa University
- Russia: RU Films
- United Kingdom: Signvideo, TVT, Stagetext
- Switzerland: Swiss TXT
- Germany: ARD (public broadcaster)
- Italy: Deluxe, Subti, Torino Cultura Accessibile
- Malta: University of Malta
- Finland: Yle TV2 (public broadcaster), University of Helsinki
- Spain: Antena 3, Universitat Autónoma de Barcelona, Universitat Jaume I, Universitat de Vic, Escola Superior de Cinema i Audiovisuals de Catalunya
- Poland: University of Warsaw